Tuesday 31 January 2012

In session in my February show: Dementio13

Given the sublimely varied electronic forces at work behind the music of Paul Foster, aka Dementio13, it's hard to explain his music and even harder to explain why I've never featured it in session on my show before. Four years on from the first appearance of his music in my show, I decided it was time to do something about it. The results stream for the first time tomorrow at noon (UK time) on Dandelion Radio, with repeat streamings on most days throughout February.

I first played Dementio13 on Dandelion Radio in February 2008, so Paul was one of the people at the very top of my list to appear in our 'Five Years' anniversary compilation last summer, and I knew he would produce something extraordinary. With the (forgive me) quixotic 'Quixote' he duly obliged and a sneak peak of his forthcoming Crash St album (due on 1 May) reveals him to be still moving forward in invigorating and never predictable directions, his exploratory electronica more varied in texture and mood than pretty much any of his contemporaries.

All of the tracks in the session mix will feature on Crash St so I'm pleased to say that my show will be the first chance to hear much of what's on it. You can, however, pre-order the album for an unfeasibly low price at http://dementio13.com/. While you're there, may I suggest a valuable use of your time would be to peruse his fascinating back catalogue. Unless you've got it all already, of course, in which case presumably you know what I mean.

I don't do this sort of thing very often, but I thought the occasion called for a personal top ten of Paul's EPs and albums, both as Dementio13 and, with the equally extraordinary Pixieguts, in Cwtch. I know Mojo or Uncut or somebody would probably call this a 'buyer's guide' or something equally prosaic and consumerist, but I'm just going to label it a list of great music which, remarkably, all comes from the same inspirational fount. To be honest, it's all amazing stuff and I'm sure I'll want to change the order as soon as I've posted it, but here goes:

1. Dementio13 - Blacklung Mixer (2008)
2. Cwtch - be.ep (2010)
3. Dementio13 - Snackshack (2011)
4. Dementio13 - Blank (2009)
5. Dementio13 - The Hobbyist (2011)
6. Cwtch - Cwtch (2009)
7. Cwtch - Beyond Transgression (2011)
8. Dementio13 - Rebop (2010)

9. Dementio13 - Malt (2011)
10. Dementio13 - The Ballad Of Milton Friedman (2009)


Mark W

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this! It makes me really happy to read it! Incidentally, the new album's out on 1st March, not May.

    ReplyDelete