Thursday 2 January 2014

Ramalama Codex & The Universal Unconsciousness - Looming




First release of the new year from my Unwashed Territories label is also the first from this duo, combining the very considerable talents of Mike Seed, formerly of The Chasms, and Neil Whitehead of Vert:x.  Although Looming is their debut release, keen-eared listeners to my Dandelion Radio show will recognise some of what's here as three of the seven tracks were first heard in session on my show last year.

If you caught the session, you'll know what to expect: slickly meandering psychedelic riffs rub up against Mike's distinctive vocals or just against each other, at times playfully undulating around your lugholes, such as on the eerie 'Ganymede', and at others yielding occasionally surprising rhythmic intensity, as on the new track 'The Wrong Salute'. I'm playing 'Sleeping Beauty' in my January show on Dandelion Radio, a track that isn't new to me (I played it on my show several months ago) but which has the fascinating temerity to appear so.  That's the case with the whole collection: you'll play it again and again and find astonishing things you'll swear weren't there the first time.

There have, of course, already been many fascinating spin-offs from the members of The Chasms and I understand there'll be more to come.  For me, this is the best yet and the seven tracks here have a vibrancy and eclectic resonance that suggest Ramalama Codex have enough in the tank to take us on a long and fascinating journey.  Hold onto your hats.

Get it as NYOP here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment